Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cinemagoer "Coraline"

I want to begin a new section to my blog where I will review various movies that I have seen. Since I recently watched Coraline I think I'll begin with that.
Coraline (2009)





The film is an imaginative romp through the "other world" that Coraline can only access after she falls asleep thus opening the hidden doorway in the house. The film has a certain "Alice and Wonderland" feel, with the talking cat, alternate world, and queen mother figure. But that's all the movie borrows from Alice and Wonderland. It has a story which draws the viewer into the film, as I was watching at first I was skeptical as to how good the movie could be, but afterwards it exceeded my expectations.


The tension in the film revolves around Coraline's unhappiness at home and her wishing to be in a happier place. She does find a happier place in the "other" world, but soon learns that there is a price to be paid for staying in that world. She is then sent on a quest in order to avoid the price which is paid in the "other" world, which I thought was a very imaginative part of the film. It is a cautionary tale to be careful what you wish for.

All in all, I'd give it a solid two thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment